USA Is this legit?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was recently approached by a company in Japan thru a legitimate jobs search board, and wanted to set me up as a part-time "rep of North American Region", that would collect outstanding balances, and then forward them the collected amount, minus 10% commission. The companies seem legit, but the first one is in Canada. They didn't tell me yet how the funds would be transferred to the "main" company, so I didn't give out any account details. But, given some thought, does this seem odd, or even some sort of scam? I certainly run my whole life on the level, and wouldn't want to be involved in something if its not legit. Collecting money on behalf of a company in itself isn't a legal issue, i've been told, but just want to be comfortable before I actually go ahead and consider this. Thx

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Canadian company will indeed send you payment because they are owned by the Japanese company.. Then the method will be that you are to deposit the check in YOUR account. Then keep a commission and wire the balance from YOUR acct to the Japanese company. Guess who gets to be holding the bag when the Canadian check is found to be fraudulent in a month or two?

Don't do this!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
OMG! May I ask how you are aware or know this? I looked the companies up. Seemed to be normal. They gave me a contract to review and info about the companies. Jeez. This is pretty sophisticated. I’m feeling not so good that I even came close to considering this. You’re saying there’s zero chance it’s legit? Thx. I’m just in some disbelief. Not willing to chance it of course. But ppl should be aware of this stuff.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a scam that's been around for a while. Also, think about it : why ask an American to collect from a Canadian company when you can hire a local Canadian?
Anyway - I found this for you:

Ask a Question