USA ITIN

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a U.S. citizen married to a Green Card holder. She has two children (My Step-children) ages 16 and 12. I filed petitions for them a few years ago and my wife was approved and has her green card and social security number. My two step children's petitions got lost some how (typical government bureaucracy), so I had to do it all over for them without the fees (good I still had my receipts}. The two children live with us even though they have not completed the immigration process. Since we have lived together in the states since May of 2016, how can I file taxes under "filing jointly" without Social Security numbers for the children? I know I can file a W-7 with the tax return asking IRS to assign a tax ID number for the kids. Will IRS issue a tax ID number for them if they are not yet legal residents. Or, should I just wait until they do get their permanent residence and social security numbers?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was in the same situation. My kids didnt have SSN and I filed with their ITIN. With the ITIN you can get the child tax credit but not the EITC. IRS made changes, so you cant claim aymore the IETC retrospective for those year in which you didnt have the SSN. Dont know the impact on others aspect of your filing.
Regards

Ask a Question