jettison the car & insurance?

D

dumbstruck

What if you opt out of car ownership and insurance in favor of a very infrequent car rental... can rental car insurance alone really cover the max costs that a predatory lawyer might target you for? Would you more likely be targeted for a number exceeding your rental car insurance coverage? I am only concerned about an armageddon type liability claim, but umbrella insurance isn't available without regular car insurance.

Also what about renting out the vacated covered parking space... are there any weird liabilities to anticipate or inability to get a deadbeat out? Maybe could solve both problems by asking payment by sole means of a chauffered drive on an errand once a month. Thanks for comments on frugal options

Ad

Advertisements

B

bo peep

Also the car in question has to at least be idled at length twice a month or
special circumstances can trigger a $600 repair... a lot of babysitting or a
lot of money.
Could you be more specific? The only things I can think of that might fit your description would be a car battery that can't hold a charge for extended time periods, or a fuel system that is very susceptible to fuel deterioration.

The battery problem can be addressed by installing a "battery tender", such as
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1340292588&sr=8-2

The fuel aging problem can be addressed by using a fuel stabilizer, such as
http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

S

stevenricherd

dumbstruck;747293 said:
On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:37:32 AM UTC-10, bo peep wrote:-
It sounds like you need a "non-owner" auto insurance policy. See

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_a_named_non-owner_policy_cover-

Thanks, although that is probably similaral to the car insurance any
frugal person has, with no coverage for your own scrap metal and only
covering scrap metal and medical of the other party. It's quite
inexpensive, but maybe an occasional car rental offering optional
liability coverage can do the trick for less.

Actually the costs that bug me are new annual registration fees
(nondeductable) that exceed the annual cost of insurance. Also the car
in question has to at least be idled at length twice a month or special
circumstances can trigger a $600 repair... a lot of babysitting or a lot
of money.

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:43:41 AM UTC-10, Bill Woessner wrote:-
Alternatively, you might look in to renting out your car. I just read
about this on CNN/Money:

http://tinyurl.com/d9p6mx3

It's basically a peer-to-peer car rental service. I'd never heard of
such a thing until today.-

Good idea, although I'd rather save the risk and hassle and just be a
customer. I earlier heard their stock went down because Hertz or someone
was planning to somehow address that market of hourly rentals available
at neighborhood localities.
many frugal person or a normal person also think about that how much
expense he will need to pay for maintenance after than buy a car, and
that is also in their mind, car insurance is a expensive process, you
have posted here useful information for this kind of person, thanks for
sharing this information.

D

dumbstruck

many frugal person or a normal person also think about that how much
expense he will need to pay for maintenance after than buy a car, and
that is also in their mind, car insurance is a expensive process, you
have posted here useful information for this kind of person, thanks for
sharing this information.
There are other ideas to save on car insurance besides canceling the part for loss or damage to your own car. For one thing check closely for discounts for affiliations - it can be as simple as having an account in a certain bank.

In my area, most accidents are caused by the underinsured or illegally uninsured. Your insurance may be jacked up for their inability to cover medical claims of you and your passengers. In my area this is very costly because they insist on matching the limits of your regular liability. With a lot of paperwork, I could waive this coverage because I figure I won't carry passengers except for medically insured family who won't sue. Big savings, but not for everyone.

Ad

Advertisements

B

bo peep

Then maybe I can carry it to a charger too.
You might want to purchase a "power station". I bought one at Costco last year for about $70. Exactly the same model as this one from Amazon for a higher price:

http://www.amazon.com/PowerStation-PSX-Multi-Purpose-Vehicle-Compressor/dp/B002YVU8WS

Its essentially a car battery and charging circuits in a box. It can jump start your car when your battery is low. It also contains an air compressor for your tires. Since it has a 12 volt outlet, it might be able to power a battery tender intermittently, although I haven't tried that.

B

bo peep

Can't get a dead battery out, because it takes some foreign
tool not sold to the public.
I've noticed that a lot of people seem to have little or no ability to find stuff like this on the internet, even if it is actually available out there. If you will post *specific* information about your car and it's battery tool, it is highly likely that something is available.
Another factor is salt air environment seems to eat up electronics
of idle cars.
An old mechanic's trick is to smear a thin coat of vaseline petroleum jelly over the electrical connections. It keeps the air away to prevent corrosion.

D

dumbstruck

Ahh, I wish I had a car advisor when I needed one. I'll make a last post with requested gory details.

You might want to purchase a "power station". I bought one at Costco last year for about $70. Exactly the same model as this one from Amazon for a higher price:
Yeah, when my battery died I bought one and injured my back walking it home. It wouldn't start the car, so I called a service truck... who pulled out a similar device! I guess they worry about jumping their actual vehicle, but of course it didn't work until I suggested we attach mine in parallel - viola.
I've noticed that a lot of people seem to have little or no ability to find stuff like this on the internet, >even if it is actually available out there. If you will post *specific* information about your car and it's >battery tool, it is highly likely that something is available.
It seems to need a very long key to unlock base of battery, but I can't see into the gloom what it engages. The dealer refused to show or sell one to me. I spent all my favors pleading with them to replace the battery without the expensive electronics reset. Maybe I can make a flashlight and mirror identify it... I found no clue on the internet. I'd rather not reveal my model, but it was briefly made during a doomed flirtation of a foreign with domestic manufacturer, and the rare parts cost the earth.
An old mechanic's trick is to smear a thin coat of vaseline petroleum jelly over the electrical connections. It keeps the air away to prevent corrosion.
I meant the overall electrical system, which seemed to kill the previous car (which had an easy battery replacement). Salt air even deeply pits nearby aluminum window frames, and I think it's corroding open contacts of cars that don't get exercised. Other unused electrical things seem to suffer as well.

Ad

Advertisements

S

stevenricherd

Bill said:
On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:34:00 AM UTC-4, dumbstruck wrote:-
What if you opt out of car ownership and insurance in favor of a very
infrequent car rental...-

Alternatively, you might look in to renting out your car. I just read
about this on CNN/Money:

http://tinyurl.com/d9p6mx3

It's basically a peer-to-peer car rental service. I'd never heard of
such a thing until today.

--Bill
You may want the best for your car. This is common idea and you must
want something that can protect your car. Have a car is not easy and
cheap enough because we should concern about the repair and maintenance.

Ask a Question