Job Dilemma/Grad School

Reaction score
I am currently in my last semester of school and work 40 hours a week as a Co-Op at Toyota. The process of getting hired on full time at Toyota seems like a career path which limits your possible hiring companies to only Toyota. The process is after you Co-op is up you get hired on by a third party employer (example: Robert Half). My concern is this will make my resume look worse since I will be employed by a hiring agency and decrease my job marketability to other companies.

My question is: is this a career killer which restricts you employment to one company?

I have also recently applied to sit for CPA and would like to pursue the opportunity to work in public. After I graduate this May, I will have 8 months experience as a Co-op at Toyota (accounting) and 9 months experience as a Marketing Analyst Intern at American Modern Insurance Group (producing reports from analyzing financial statements, product lines). I should graduate cum laude in a B.S. Accounting degree from an average business college. If needed, I can have a letter of recommendation from an accounting professor. My goal is to be an auditor, preferably in public accounting but also open to becoming an internal auditor.

One more question revolves around which graduate school program to select after I pass the CPA: M.S. in accounting or M.S. in Business Informatics. The M.S. in accounting seem less attractive since I will already have the CPA certification. I was leaning towards M.S. in Business Informatics since I am not strong in this aspect and have realized most managers do not understand databases and the power of excel. This gap in knowledge is what I see as an opportunity for employment and a faster track to management. Am I wrong in my logic or not?

Any help or ideas about my future employment life would be greatly appreciate. Thank you if you stuck through and read this longer than expected question.

Ask a Question