UK Job Offer - no experience

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,

I would be really happy if you can give me some advice.
I am accountant assistant for 16months in accountant agency. I am preparing(not submitting) accounts, vat, payroll everyday for construction companys. I have 15 construction companys which I am responsible for. I am working with 12pay & VT. I have level 1, level 2 and level 3 in bookkeeping (IAB).
Yesterday I got the offer to be accountant for construction company. Company incorporated November 2016 and director had another accountant agent till now. But he wants to employ a new employee only for his own company and he is asking me to take this posision. Another accountant has to submit accounts for Nov16-Nov17. And the last 5 months the company is registered for Vat. He has 20 sub-contractors, 2 employees and 1 contractor. No assets, only 1 car which he bought last year in full.
Director knows that I do not have experience to submit accounts/vat to hmrc and companies house. He knows that I am responsible person, so he trusts me. But, the problem is that I am not sure if I can do this without supervision.

Please, can you help me and maybe you can give me some advice - is it possible to do everything by myself ? Can I buy some software like sage/12pay? Is it possible to submit accounts/vat to hmrc using companys own gateway account ? Is it hard to take second year company? Is it possible to do it at all? Do I have to take this opportunity? It could be a step forwardy gold.
Thank you so much for your time and any response to my letter.
Have a lovely sunny day.

Regards,
Sofia

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Sophia and welcome to the forum :)

The thing is, you don't know what you don't know. Unless you get up to speed with the obligations of a UK company (both tax and otherwise) you run the risk of missing something by mistake. However, if you do get up to speed then there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to do this on your own, provided the company is classed as 'small'. If it is not a small company, then there is also an audit requirement (which you would not be able to do).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thank you :) yes, I don' know what I don't know yet and I decided to take the opportunity. I understand that it will be really hard but I hope everything will be OK :)
I hope it will be easiest than I think and usually we are thinking too much about bad things.

Thank you Becky and have a nice evening!

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have always believed that your best comes out when you are uncomfortable - now that doesnt mean you shouldnt spend the time to learn about the operation and applicable accounting/tax rules - it just means that you need to have confidence in yourself, dedicate time to getting the knowledge and where unsure have conversations with the boss or others in the profession (its good to have a network you can tap into). It will get easier and since this is a smaller operation you can work your way into it over time. Best of luck!

Ask a Question