Keeping track of investments?

Reaction score
I am new to Quicken Premier 2010 and am hoping someone here can help me with what I feel is probably a very simple task. I have converted my investment tracking to Quicken from the Morningstar Portfolio Manager web tool because I wanted the automatic online account updating and the Morningstar tool had the bad habit of rounding my entries so invariably the account totals were off by a bit which makes reconciling impossible.

There are a few views that I feel are very important to keeping on top of investment performance. Perhaps there is a way to see exactly what I want or other users here handle this in a different way and can share:

-I need a way to see a view that shows me each of the funds I have invested in a table with their 1 week, 3 month, 1 year, 3 year, 5 year, etc performance details so that I can compare these to market indexes to make sure my investments are performing well. I would prefer 10 and 15 year figures but Quicken seems to be handstrung to 5 years max. The best way I have found to do this is to go to Investing, then Portfolio, then creating a custom view. There is a big problem here because none of the performance stats I select show the performance of the mutual fund over all time periods I select. Instead it only shows the performance that my account has achieved for the time period I have owned shares. I want to see historical performance data for longer time periods to judge the fund versus the indexes.

-I need a way to see a view that will show me the performance of my investment money in my entire portfolio that will show actual performance based on my cost basis, purchase dates, etc. Ideally I would want to be able to compare this to an index, similar to the "Performance" view on Morningstar Portfolio Manager. It is not important that this be in a graph format - I would prefer a table view with percentages listed. The best way I have found to do this is to go to Investing, then Performance. The Average Annual Return on the right hand side comes close to what I am looking for except it shows data for different investing accounts for our different IRAs and 401(k) accounts whereas I want a view that shows individual funds irregardless of what account they are in. Again - comparing against the indexes here would be great.

Surely there is a way to see this data. I have not been able to find anything on the official Quicken Forums for this (and they don't seem to want to let me register either!) so I found this forum which seems pretty active and maybe not as censored as the Intuit one. If anyone here could offer any guidance on how to do this inside of Quicken or share how they manage and track their investments I would greatly welcome the input. My main goal here is to be able to watch investment performance so I know if a fund I am in begins to lag too far behind in long term performance figures.

Ask a Question