USA Long Term Liability amount incorrect

Reaction score
Country
United States
My question is what to do when the actual amount of a long term liability does not match the books. I paid off the long term liability loan but quickbooks is still showing an amount. Do I make the adjustment to retained earnings?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
No. Possible reasons.
1. QuickBooks showed the full amount payable over time and the payoff was for a lower amount based on present value. In such case, difference goes to P&L.
2. There was no early payoff. So the amount that was on QB was incorrect. Again you need to adjust the difference to P&L.
Anyway - there is no direct entry to retained earnings

Reaction score
Country
United States
The reason is #2. Wouldn't I debit the long term liability, and what account would I credit? Thank you so much for responding!!

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Let's say on your books Long Term Debt has a $200,000 balance. Then you find that's wrong and should be $180,000 so you actually pay $180,000. You then DR LT Debt for $180K and CR Cash $180K. Now, LT Debt still has a balance of $20K Credit.
So you need to DR LT Debt for $20K and offset (post a CR to a revenue acct) to P&L. Use an Acct like "Miscellaneous Income" for the $20K credit. It is the correction of an error that happened somewhere during the life of the debt. But anyway do NOT adjust retained earnings directly.

Reaction score
What was the correct answer for Cooper1 question??
An accounting error should not result in a gain or loss in the books.
we must go back and find the reason for the difference and make the
proper correcting entries.

Ask a Question