Master of Accountancy or MBA

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a bachelor's degree in Accountancy from the Philippines. It has been pretty hard for me to get a job here in the US where I could use my degree. I want to improve my educational attainment by taking a graduate degree. I have been looking at online universities like National University. Initially, I was interested in applying for a Masters degree in Accountancy because I want to take the CPA exam in the near future and I want to be in public accounting. However, the counselor told me that a Masters Degree in Accountancy will be repetitive of what I already took in college. She told me that an MBA would be more ideal for me. Is she correct?

Thank you.

Reaction score
not exactly. there are graduate programs geared for people with no accounting background, some accounting background, and people who already have accounting degrees and/or x years of work experience. start by looking at the accounting programs in your area and read up on the curriculum and admission requirements. there are also plenty of online graduate programs if that's something you are interested in, too.

i don't know whether an accounting master's or MBA is more ideal. i've seen this discussed before and, if memory serves me right, people tend to advise that you just go for the accounting program, but to be honest i don't know for sure as i'm only a student myself.

Ask a Question