mileage deduction

Reaction score
Hello,

I've seen a few posts about this topic but not my exact situation. My husband is an artist with a home studio selling artwork. He also has several teaching jobs. One accountant has told me that the mileage from studio to teaching job is deductible another says it is not, but is deductible from one teaching job to the next. But trips to Home Depot are deductible from studio. It seems to me that working from a legitimate home studio is a job too.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Reaction score
The way I understand it, all trips from a home office to somewhere related to business for the home office is deductible. No mileage for trips from the home to a 'regular job' is deductible.

So, if your husband works regular hours, gets a W-2, etc. for a particular job mileage to that job is not deductible. If, instead he gets a 1099-Misc, has an office related to his work at home, etc. for a particular job, that mileage is deductible.

If one is a regular job and he goes from the regular job to the other job, that mileage is deductible as is the mileage home from the second job back home.

NOTE: This is not legal advice and, in fact, may be incorrect. If you do not feel comfortable accepting the possible risk of claiming the mileage, get professional advice.

Reaction score
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

So let me see if I understand this correctly:

home office to job #1- no deduction,
from job #1 to job #2- deductable,
job #2 to home- deductible.

Is this right?

Jamie

Ask a Question