Mixing accounting methods in financial statement preparation

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi
I recently joined a provincial government agency in Edmonton Alberta, and I have been told the following:

"monthly financial statements are prepared on a cash-basis, but be mindful that the year-end financial statements are prepared on an accrual-basis". Is this possible?

Steve-LevelUp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I know that government reporting doesn't necessarily follow standard GAAP rules. Although I've never worked in government, I have heard that cash accounting is something that is done. EG, spending $100M to build a bridge is fully expensed and not capitalized...Governments have little accountability to its members (citizens)

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds odd. It's usually one or the other. Government here (UK) used to do cash accounting, but went over to 'resource' accounting - aka accrual accounting, some years ago now. Having worked in both government and private sectors, I've never known there to be a mix of the two going on at the same time.

Ask a Question