USA MLP K-1 Form did not generate due to short sale - tax benefits and liabilities

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a trader who trades MLP occasionally. Whenever I short an MLP, even for just one night, I get a K-1 form from them the next year that says they cannot generate a K-1 for me. The form shows the buys and sells but does not give me any numbers. When I try to call them, they tell me they can't generate a K-1 for me.

This leads me to two scenarios
1.) One company I owned most of the year, I got short for a few days, and then got long again. My K-1 form did not generate as expected. I think I missed out on some tax benefits. Is there any way possible to find out what those tax benefits would be without the company's help? My accountant doesn't think there is any way because there are no numbers from the company to work with.
2.) On the flip side, another company I was long and again got short. However, this company is in trouble and had to do some write-downs, debt swaps, and other bad things. Investors who got their K-1 actually got some income to report from the debt forgiveness I believe. However, if my K-1 does not generate, how do I know what my tax liability is to pay? And how does the IRS figure it out if the company can't generate a form for me?

Thanks for any insight into this weird situation.

Ask a Question