Germany Monetary gift from my non-us citizen/resident parent

Jun 12, 2012
Reaction score
Good day everybody :)
I had a question regarding the acceptance of a foreign gift. I read mixed comments and I really don't want to get anything wrong.
I am a german citizen who recently became a permanent resident here in the US. I file taxes of course. My grandmother passed away in Germany last year and my father is splitting up the value of her house among us children. I am starting medical school here in the US this summer and he wants to help me pay for that too. So my question is, if he wanted to give me $125,000, what would I have to do? what forms would I have to file? Does he have to fill out a form saying that it is a one time gift etc? Do I have to mention somewhere that this money will be used for medical school tuition?

Thank you very much in advance :)



VIP Member
May 12, 2011
Reaction score
United States
You MUST MUST file IRS form 3520. No tax on the giver but PENALTY (huge) on you if you receive over $100K - which is your case - and you DON"T file. So as to not goof this - I suggest you get a tax pro to help and when you do file send CERTIFIED MAIL WITH RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED for your proof.

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question