UK Nearly qualified struggling with work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I’m part qualified (now nearly qualified) accountant. My position is basically acting as an assistant accountant. I’m in my early 30s and have been working in accounting for around 3-4 years, as I got a bit of a later start than most.

My last permanent job I got essentially demoted (I think I was promoted too soon as I was more qualified then experienced) and I feel like I am still struggling. I am nearly qualified and I am a male ( not sure if this makes a difference) and early 30s guy with kids. I am still making stupid mistakes and I am getting shit for it at work. Part of me just thinks I am not cut out for this but another part is just thinking that I am making the sort of mistakes I should have been making in mid 20s and they would have been more acceptable then as I was younger? What do you think?

Anyone else nearly qualified but struggling with the role?

The joke is that most of my work is not especially challenging (they only hard stuff they give me is usually excel as I’m good with that) but it’s jist boring and there is a lot of it and I’m always under pressure so I make mistakes but it almost looks worse because the work is easy.

Anyone relate?

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your problem is motivation, do you have a tendency to procrastinate too?

If you want things to change then you need to decide that you want to do things differently. Make lists and tick things off when they're done, don't put things off that you don't want to do, try your best with every task even if it's menial. If you carry on like you are then you'll stagnate and you'll always be trapped in a job you find boring. If you decide to change things then you could progress to a more challenging role.

Tough as it is, no one is going to do this for you. It's up to you if you want things to change.

Like MJ said, you need to start with the man in the mirror. Best of luck :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Becky, I think motivation probably is a factor. The problem is the momentum is unrelenting. I work 50-60 hour weeks and feel like I never get attention for good things I have done only if I make mistakes which is very demotivating.

I procrastinate a lot outside work and maybe a bit in work. I think sleep is a key thing and like you said I just need to refocus and try harder basically! I just hope I keep the job as have a review coming up. The constant tension of feeling I may not make probation is also not helping my motivation tbh.

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're already working long hours then I can understand how it's difficult to find the motivation. I guess my advice would be work smart - ie efficiently. Try and be aware of when you're wasting time and try to avoid it. Ask for help when you need it - it's far better to ask how to tackle a problem than to spend hours trying to work it out yourself (unless the reason you have been assigned the job is to challenge you). Ask your line manager for help in improving - agree a plan and have regular meetings to check how you're doing. When you do a good piece of work then make sure people know about it - keep a list of things you're proud of and take it along to your appraisal.

Most companies would far rather have a member of staff improve their performance than go through the effort of finding a replacement and training them up. It's in their interests to help you, don't forget that ;)

I know it sounds like a lot, but if you're keen to improve then changing how you do things will lead to gains in the long run :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That’s good advice and I am trying to do it and gaining some success. The problem with asking for help is that on the one hand they say ‘just ask questions ‘ but when I actually ask them I usually get very short unhelpful answers or just get criticised and told it’s something I should know.

I have.a review coming up soon and I think I will be ok but I just feel frustrated as I feel like I’ve done some really good work that not many people I work with could do and I get no recognition or appreciation for it, but then I make a mistake and I never hear the end of it.

Thanks for replying I just wanted to get this off my chest really I think

Ask a Question