USA Need advice on job

Reaction score
I am recently graduated from the college and got my bachelor degree in accounting major. I don't have any experience in the accounting field. I would like to get some advice on how I should proceed on to get a job in accounting field. I had applied a lot of jobs and interns, but I never get any call back or any response.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
How knowledgeable are you on the topic? If someone gave you an accounting task to do--make this balance sheet balance, figure out why this AP account balance is wrong, figure out how to book this expense, etc.--could you answer the question?

Practical knowledge is what people pay for, not degrees. You're going to need to prove you can do the job before you can expect anything. Also, you're in a very, very tough job market. Have you looked into temp agencies? They can get you work while you're still looking for a permanent job. A lot of temp jobs are also temp to perm.

Reaction score
I am not sure

To be honest, i am not sure if i would be able to figure these out or not, but i dont see it as a problem or something that i wouldnt be able to do.

I maintain my own bookkepping for all expenses and payable on a excel sheet. I keep a record of what i purchase on my credit card, and always on time with the due date on the payment. I am very detail orientated when it comes to finding out how much i need to pay and how much i would receive monthly as in terms of my own paycheck.

I never had a chance to do any kind of intern, so if everything base on resume, i wouldnt have any experience. But i am a quick learner. I dont think is hard. I truly think i can do a good job.

Since you mention the temp job, how does it work exactly, can you describe it a little bit more? I am willing to do extra work on the temp job, but i cannot drop my current job because i need the income to take care of my family.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If can't immediately say, 'yes, I can do that', then you're not even ready for entry-level bookkeeping. These are the basics.

Temp jobs can be based on a project, part-time work, or full-time work. It can get you into the field while you work at your current job.

But I will caution you. From what you've already answered, you will find it hard and unlikely to find anyone interested with your current level of skill.

Reaction score
Thanks

I appreciate your response.

Do you have any recommendation as to where i can find a temp job? Of course, i will do my own research as well, but i think sometime suggestion help even better.

Last edited:

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I appreciate your response.

Do you have any advice as to what i can do to advance? Every where i go, basically with my level of experience, no one would want to hire me like you said, and i dont deny on that.
Learn the basics of bookkeeping. Being detail oriented is a big part of it, so that much you have. Learn bank and credit card merchant statement reconciliation, how to categorize expenses, how to deal with balance sheet items like assets, liabilities, and equity. Study the rules on sales tax, payroll taxes, quarterly taxes for state and federal, maybe even city.

I'm sure there's exercises or tests online. Find them and master them. Then you've got a chance because you have skills to do things a lot of people would rather pay someone else to do.

Ask a Question