need help with merchandising transactions

Reaction score
need help to know which to debit and which to credit because they are not balancing.

1. Dawn recieved an invoice for 20,000 from one of its merchandise suppliers. terms were 2/10, n/30 FOB shipping point

2.Dawn paid transportation cost on the April 2nd purchase, 1,200

3. dawn returned 3,400 of merchandise billed on April 2nd because it was defective

4. dawn sold merchandise on account to Charlie jewelers for 9,000, terms were 3/15, n/30 FOB DESTINATION. Dawns cost of mechandise was 3,000

5. Dawn paid transportation cost on April 5th sale, 500

6. Dawn paid the invoice dated April 2nd, less rhw return and the discount

7. Charles jewelers returned 3,000 of the merchandise from the April 5th sale. Dawn cost for merchandise was 1,000

8. Dawn recieved payment on the remaining amount due from Charles Jewelers, less the return and the discount.

9. Paid part time employees wages, 1,200

10. Paid rent, 1,500

i cannot get the cash to get a debit balance. any help will be greatful :)

Reaction score
Kinda impossible to figure out what cash should be if you don't have the opening balance for the cash account.

Reaction score
Kinda impossible to figure out what cash should be if you don't have the opening balance for the cash account.

i know :/
i just have a credit balance on my cash account. which doesnt balance out at the end

Reaction score
If you have a credit balance in your cash account, that doesn't mean you don't balance, it means you have an overdraft.

If you're telling me your TB doesn't balance, then my suggestion is to check your journal entries and make sure they individually balance. If they do, then make sure you're transferred each debit and credit side to the t-accounts correctly. If this isn't the problem, then you didn't transfer your t-accounts to the TB correctly.

Ask a Question