UK Need some professional advice...

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Im currently studying accounting and finance at University and am in 3rd year.

I will be applying for graduate jobs at the end of 4th year (obviously) and am looking for some sound advice.

I have done a placement at a financial accounting firm and the training is great but ideally, I would like to gain my CA in oil and work in oil.

I know practice has more variety but one thing I am worried about is that I dont want to be sat doing one thing i.e. purchase invoices in an oil firm as that wouldn't really benefit me in the long run. I did speak to an oil firm and they give experience in tax/internal audit/accounts etc which sounds really good. Oil firms are much more laid back and have other benefits too - free lunches/early finishes etc.

1 - I was told by some people in the accounting office that it is much more worthwhile to gain a CA in practice then to move into oil rather than gaining a CA in oil and continuing to work in oil - is this true? - as obviously they will have a biased opinion.

2 - Similarly, are my career prospects - in terms of progression - hampered by gaining a CA in an oil firm as opposed to a finance firm?

Obviously oil pays a lot better starting, almost double in many instances and as far as im concerned - money talks. Yes, I do enjoy my job but at the end of the day would like a lot of money and as soon as possible after graduating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Reaction score
I would say it would be too subjective depending on what role you would be doing in either practice or industry. I don't think you can really beat working for a big 4 for slingshotting your career though. However, moving straight into oil would have the benefits of building contacts etc. I would apply for a range and look at the merits of each job role specifically.

Are you confident of securing a place in oil, what sort of roles have you seen for graduates? What attracts you to it other than money? Does it involve a lot of visiting rigs etc?

Reaction score
I know, from a view of gaining experience/training it is a plus point. Oil has benefits of flexi time/early finishes/travelling globally - all which appeal to me. However, the main worry I have is that if I applied for jobs after gaining a CA in oil, would it disadvantage me? Not sure but do you know anyone or anywhere I can directly speak to someone who has gone this route?

James

Ask a Question