USA Never used Delaware LLC - what to do

Reaction score
3 years ago, I created a Delaware LLC with a partner with the purpose of running an online business through it. Before we ever got off the ground, it turned out the partner was not trustworthy at all, and we stopped our plans together. At the time, I considered closing the LLC, but since it was already paid for, I figured I would keep it around for a while and see if I could use the LLC for other projects. I never did. I am not a US citizen but from the EU - so was my business partner at that time.

Now, 3 years later, I looked into cancelling it, since I will never use it in the future. I contacted the company that set it up for me in the first place, and they say the company owes 2 years of franchise tax + a 200$ fee to Delaware for cancelling the company. That plus some admin fees turns into about 1000$.

A dime never passed through this company, there was never any activity whatsoever, and I frankly have better things to do with 1000$. ;)

I have done some research on the topic, but the answers seem to be all over the place, so I came to accountantforums, hoping for an answer.

1. Will there be any personal consequences for me as an individual, if I chose not to pay?
2. If I want to open a new LLC (in Delaware or some other state) in the future, will this present a problem?

I do not want to be stopped in the airport next time I enter the US and held back for tax owed to Delaware - but I am not inclined to throw more money out the window on this, than I already have.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Another thing to look out for:
Once it is formed (and until it is dissolved) a corporation MUST file a federal tax return, whether or not it has any income. And (of course) there are penalties for failure to file the corporate tax return.

Ask a Question