USA New here and need help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, right now I am an active duty Storekeeper in the United States Coast Guard. I'm stationed in Boston, MA and would be looking to stay in the area. I'm about to graduate with a BSBA in accounting with a 3.5 GPA from Thomas Edison State College (regionally accredited school). I am seriously considering getting out of the Coast Guard (with an honorable discharge) and trying to get a staff accounting job for a year before possibly utilizing my post 9/11 GI bill to pursue the extra credits needed to qualify for the CPA exam.

I have two years experience in government procurement and will have two years of experience in reconciliation using Coast Guard software called the Financial Procurement Desktop (also known as FPD). I am also a property administrator and manage property through a program inside FPD called Oracle.

I am looking for advice on what I should do to better prepare myself as a I transition to the civilian world. Are there any programs you would recommend I familiarize myself with such as quick-books. I am looking to get books to get more proficient in Excel. Any advice on what other steps I should take would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, right now I am an active duty Storekeeper in the United States Coast Guard. I'm stationed in Boston, MA and would be looking to stay in the area. I'm about to graduate with a BSBA in accounting with a 3.5 GPA from Thomas Edison State College (regionally accredited school). I am seriously considering getting out of the Coast Guard (with an honorable discharge) and trying to get a staff accounting job for a year before possibly utilizing my post 9/11 GI bill to pursue the extra credits needed to qualify for the CPA exam.

I have two years experience in government procurement and will have two years of experience in reconciliation using Coast Guard software called the Financial Procurement Desktop (also known as FPD). I am also a property administrator and manage property through a program inside FPD called Oracle.

I am looking for advice on what I should do to better prepare myself as a I transition to the civilian world. Are there any programs you would recommend I familiarize myself with such as quick-books. I am looking to get books to get more proficient in Excel. Any advice on what other steps I should take would be greatly appreciated.
First off, thank you for your service. Advanced microsoft excel proficiency is certainly valuable to a lot of corporations. As far as quickbooks goes, only very small companies utilize that software. I would recommend you get the credits needed so sit for the cpa exam while pursuing an internship at a large company...i would spend about 3 or so years in public accounting then make the switch inyo private industry..that alone can make the difference between an 18 dollar an hour and six figure salary job

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question