USA New Home Buyer - How does this impact my taxes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

I'm planning on buying a new home and my realtor suggested talking with an accountant regarding the types of deductions that we can take so that I can consider that when thinking about total money spent per year on housing. She mentioned that we can deduct 10k a year in real estate taxes as well as the mortgage interest.

Can you let me know how I can best estimate how much that would result in money in my pocket? The home has property taxes of +10k/year and the mtge interest would be about 12k for the first year. Our AGI was 212k in 2019 joint filing.

We are currently renting and I can't make sense of all the moving parts of homeownership. So hopefully understanding how this impacts our taxes will be helpful and we would appreciate any insight into this.

thank you,

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm assuming I just take the ~22k interest payment and property tax and multiple by 24% which is the federal tax bracket we are in to get ~5280 in annual tax savings. Let me know if I'm thinking about this correctly.

Thank you

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Savings might well be zero. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act limited property tax deduction to $10K and there are limits on the amount of mortgage debt that can be used for the interest deduction calculation. But let's assume the whole $12K is allowable. The sum is $22K of ITEMIZED deductions (although we are now at mid year so actual expense will be less but let's go with these numbers.) . But those $22K of ITEMIZED deductions are less than the 2020 standard deduction of $24,800. So if you have no other itemized deductions, you would select to use the standard deduction instead of itemizing deductions. Result: no tax savings from the new house in this case.

Your state's tax methods may differ from the Fed and you might see a benefit there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. This is helpful and saved me from a significant miscalculation.

Ask a Question