new job, what do i do??

Reaction score
ive just finished my accounting exams and will be starting a new job next week. help. im confused. where do i start??? what are the normal day to day duties of a busy and successful accountant. the job is the accountant for a firm at a higher level. not doing payroll etc. can someone send me a huge list of duties of the accountant and i can zero in on a good list and maybe get ideas too. cheers

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are replacing someone, just go in and study ALL the work products they used to create (get their old excel workbooks, get copies of reports they made, etc) and find out what the deadlines are. If this is a brand new position (which is unlikely) then all you can do is rely on your intellect, ASK LOTS of questions, Determine what reports YOU THINK are needed. You don't need "generic" lists because your job is specific, not generic.

Reaction score
Agreed with kirby - you are basically in research / deconstruction mode when replacing someone. reverse engineer their work and their processes. Once you have understood everything you can then move forward and filter out and customize things to your preference.

Reaction score
Hi could you tell me a bit how you got the job. Did you have previous internships, how did you apply, did you network into the job etc etc?

Ask a Question