UK New Small Limited Business

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was made redundant three years ago and just set up a new limited company as, by some kind of miracle, I just got some small consultancy work. I'm planning on doing this for one customer from my home office; I was told I am borderline choice re ltd or sole trader as turnover estimated only about £37K this fiscal year. I have set up a website and am advertising my services to other companies too top help avoid IR35 issues. I just opened a new business bank account and now wondering what I'm allowed to buy and are they allowable as business expenses and the treatment of it for tax, etc.

I will need new office equipment, computer, mobile phone, desk, etc. and I don't know the most efficient way of doing this and how to get invoices, contracts set up (eg do I need to set up a new SIM card contract in the company name or can I just get my current SIM (personal number) paid)…is all of it allowable if I have personal use on these items too, how do I handle depreciation.

Finally I bought an expensive chair on ebay personally a month ago which I'd like to use for the business and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put that 'through the co.' and reimburse myself? also how do I handle it in the accounts for depreciation etc?

Looking for any help and trying to do my own accounting too as studied accounting about twenty years ago...brave I know!!

Think that's it for now ! thanks for reading :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just come across your post while searching for similar advice. How is it going?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
all sorted thanks....most of questions were answered either here or by my (cheap but poor in assistance ) accountant! Good luck

Ask a Question