USA Non-employee Gift purchases for non-profits

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there I am a new accountant and am struggling for resources. I have found many websites that reference a policy that in some way discusses how giving a gift to a non-employee is taxable to that person based on certain circumstances. The websites in question will state something like the following:

"In the event that a department chooses to provide a gift to an individual, the gift may be taxable. Gifts purchased with university funds are taxable to the non-employee recipient, per IRS regulations, if any of the following statements are true:
  1. The aggregate value of the gift is greater than $75; or
  2. The gifts are provided on a routine basis; or
  3. The gift is provided in the form of cash (i.e. cash, check, gift card, gift certificate, etc.)."
It says "Per IRS Regulations" but I cannot find any IRS documentation online where it references bullets 1-3. Can someone point me to an IRS publication that discusses these circumstances? I have placed a couple links below to some of the sites I have found that discuss this topic but have been unable to confirm through any IRS publication.

Thanks in advance

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Do a web search on "de minimis gifts $75". There you will find many sources that say that IRS has no defined dollar amount for gift limits but many organizations just use $75 as a policy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Kirby, You answered another question I was having about gift limits very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I reviewed the De Minimis Fringe Benefits on the IRS website and it discusses employees and how items that do not qualify would need to be reported on the W-2 but what I am wondering is how this could apply to non-employees? The discussion I have been having with my co-workers is around giving things like gift cards to students and volunteers and when is it appropriate to track those for the purposes of a 1099-MISC. Our University has a policy that says any gift card given over $50 is taxable and we are required to report that to our business affairs office, I am currently trying to establish policies for our alumni association who is a separate 501c3 and from time to time the association staff gives out gifts and gift cards to the university students as well as volunteers. The guidance I have been seeing online says that when something like a gift card is given that a W-9 should be collected, a written acknowledgement from the recipient of the gift card should be obtained and this should be tracked because if that person receives $600 or more they would need to receive a 1099-MISC. Does the De Minimis Fringe Benefits apply to non-employees as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
"Does the De Minimis Fringe Benefits apply to non-employees as well?"
Strictly speaking, no. Reason is gifts to employees are compensation while a gift to an individual who does not in any way work for you or is a volunteer is just a gift. But you can understand why a policy would say that for a gift over $600 treat it as compensation and send a 1099-MISC. Reason is that it avoids issues of things looking bad.
Then again - consider that your 501c3 should really be more concerned about RECEIVING bucks than PAYING bucks out the door.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks again for the guidance Kirby, it is very much appreciated.

Ask a Question