non-payment of services

Reaction score
My client, for whom I have done over 30 hours of bookkeeping, does not want to pay the balance for my services and is asking for money back for what he has paid, claiming I didn't to the work 'the way' he had requested and that I mislead him.
This is not true and I have written proof about it. He basically realized it's a big project and now is trying to find reasons to back out of it. He's sayind I am in breach of contract, that I messed up his files etc. I, on the other hand, has given him many options to work with, have always informed of whatever I was doing etc.
I am not sure what to do now. I think legally he's in breach of contract because he's not allowing me to finish the work and thus is blaming me for 'messing it up' and is not paying me. But I am concerned he will try and bring a suit against me on this faulse premise, while really I should be the one asking for the remaining money back.
How do I defend myself against this accusation of not performing the work well? Also, in the process of doing it the right way, I had uncovered many personal expenses that he was trying to flow through his company and I suspect that's why he's so angry, while he's actually the one who was trying to cheat the tax authorities. I was just doing the job correctly and by industry standards...

Ask a Question