UK Non Profit (infact Loss Making) Sole Trader Self Assessment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Background:
I assist a few local charities in Scotland with their IT needs. A part of which is building and hosting their websites. For hosting these sites, I purchase an annual reseller package so that the costs can be kept to a minimum. The intent was to then individually invoice these charities their fair share and break even. For this purpose of invoicing I registered as a Sole Trader in 2009, and have been filing taxes via self assessment. I used to even pay additional National Insurance but due to another helpful accountant recently, I found that I could file for exemption.

Problem:
I haven't gotten around to invoicing them yet, so all the payments are out of my pocket.

Trivia:
The annual expenditure for things that I have to purchase as stock is never more than £500. This is in addition to any time I spend on it as I am considering that as voluntary. I operate this sole trade out of my living room, say 3 evenings a week. I have a regular office based day job as my main one.

Question:
  1. Do I really need to complete a self assessment?
  2. Is there a way to mitigate my losses? Even from the other main job?
  3. Should I change to some other type of business entity more suited to this situation?
  4. In light of any suggestions, if and when I do break even, how would things change?
  5. If I do make a profit (gratuitous tip/over-payment from a charity), and I only want to reinvest it into the work I am doing, do I still have to pay income tax on it?

Sometimes it just makes me wonder, if only man hadn't overcomplicated things, many more people would do simple kind deeds. Sigh.

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think, strictly speaking, you need to contact HMRC to confirm whether you should complete a tax return. The rules are that if you have over £2,500 in untaxed income then you need to submit a tax return - note it says income, not profit. Given that your income appears to be less than this, and your profit is zero, then I would have thought that HMRC wouldn't ask you to submit a tax return. However, if you make a loss then you can set it against your employment income - but you can only claim to do this if you file a tax return. If you set your loss against your employment income you may get a refund of tax paid through PAYE.

Ask a Question