USA Non resident alien tax form

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I don't have a green card so in theory I have to meet the substantial presence test to be considered resident in US (working for a US company with regular VISA).
If I don't meet the test for the year, because most of the time I'm abroad for work, I noticed that in the Non Resident Alien form 1040NR, page 5 question B asks: 'In what country did you claim residence for tax purposes during the tax year?'

Now the issue is what should I put there given that I would not spend more than 6 months in any country given the kind of work I need to do? Can I leave that field blank?

Thank you

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
When all else fails, read the directions. :)

The instructions for the form state that you are to enter your foreign address and country name. So, no, you cannot leave that blank. As for which country, you'll have to choose one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I was reading that :) Problem is that I cannot really pick whatever I please as I would need to be considered resident in that country (or their definition of 'tax home'). I can't put my original home country as I'm not considered resident there anymore

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You have to have a tax home. Where does your mail go? Where do you spend most of your time? Family? Where do they stay? Even if you are not a resident by the other country's definition does not preclude it from being your tax home for US purposes. Sometimes it boils down to intent.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Intent? I wish it was that simple. mail goes to US but no family and I don't spend most of the time anywhere as I travel a lot. So can't meet the substantial presence test.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Let's try this again.
"Choose a country"
I'm done with this now.

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good reply. When someone says they wish it was that simply it usually is and they usually are not.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you are missing the point. What is the criteria to "choose a country" if you don't stay in any more than 6 months?

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it is you missing the point. Please go reread the replies and stop unnecessarily complicating things.

Else we can simply acknowledge we are incapable of effectively communicating.

Ask a Question