not recording voided checks and receivables?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm the treasurer of a church, but this question actually came up concerning the audit of our county fair. The treasurer of the county fair was asked by the state auditor to not record voided checks or receivables in Quickbooks.

This seems ludicrous to me. Has anyone heard of this? Why might they have asked for such a thing?

Reaction score
HI
it is strange i have never heard before maybe it is because of your accounting basis ?
accrual or cash it is used?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Never heard of this. I have no clue as to why. If you feel you need to follow that guidance, I would first -in writing - ask the auditor for the rationale behind this.

Reaction score
This does seem accurate, as I have always been told by auditors you need to keep a track of all voided cheques in your accounting system and to keep the actual voided hard copy cheque.

Last edited:

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
They may have not been accounting for them correctly or the entries were making the state's audit a mess.

I'd just generate reports for the state when they need them with these items taken out. I'd keep the books correct.

Ask a Question