Note to self in Quicken?


J

Jeff

Quicken Deluxe 2006 in Windows.

Is there a way to enter a comment or note to oneself within Quicken? Not a
time linked alert, but just a note that remains permanently available and
easily retrievable? Perhaps within an account screen or just the general
Quicken opening screen.

Could I for instance replace some of the marketing ads Quicken inserts in
the Quicken screens?

Thanks.

Jeff
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

MikeB

Jeff said:
Quicken Deluxe 2006 in Windows.

Is there a way to enter a comment or note to oneself within Quicken? Not a
time linked alert, but just a note that remains permanently available and
easily retrievable? Perhaps within an account screen or just the general
Quicken opening screen.

Could I for instance replace some of the marketing ads Quicken inserts in
the Quicken screens?

Thanks.

Jeff
You could flag a transaction in the cash flow and asset/liability
accounts sections or enter a reminder transaction in the investment
register. Would that do the trick?

Additionally, you could attach to an account a file with the note you
want to attach. See the Attachment feature.
 
G

GSalisbury

Jeff said:
Quicken Deluxe 2006 in Windows.

Is there a way to enter a comment or note to oneself within Quicken? Not a
time linked alert, but just a note that remains permanently available and
easily retrievable? Perhaps within an account screen or just the general
Quicken opening screen.

Could I for instance replace some of the marketing ads Quicken inserts in
the Quicken screens?

Thanks.

Jeff
You could try playing with:
C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Application Data\Intuit\Quicken\???\SPLASH.BMP
That came from my:
C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Application Data\Intuit\Quicken\Config\QUICKEN.INI
Mspaint etc. to make something else and name it whatever yours is named.
Geo.
 
J

Jeff

GSalisbury said:
You could try playing with:
C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Application Data\Intuit\Quicken\???\SPLASH.BMP
That came from my:
C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Application
Data\Intuit\Quicken\Config\QUICKEN.INI Mspaint etc. to make something
else and name it whatever yours is named. Geo.
Interesting idea. Thanks.

Jeff
 
J

Jeff

MikeB said:
You could flag a transaction in the cash flow and asset/liability
accounts sections or enter a reminder transaction in the investment
register. Would that do the trick?
I'll look ar rhis. I wonder if these are date linked.
Additionally, you could attach to an account a file with the note you
want to attach. See the Attachment feature.
Thanks I will explore both options. I did not know about the attachment
feature.

Jeff
 
G

GB

Jeff said:
Quicken Deluxe 2006 in Windows.

Is there a way to enter a comment or note to oneself within Quicken? Not a
time linked alert, but just a note that remains permanently available and
easily retrievable? Perhaps within an account screen or just the general
Quicken opening screen.
I don't know if 2006 has this, or if this is what you want, but in
Q2005, you can right-click on a transaction in a register and select
"Notes and Flags" from the context menu.

The calendar (Ctrl+K) also has an "Add Note" function.

Gregg
 
Ad

Advertisements

H

Han

Jeff said:
Quicken Deluxe 2006 in Windows.

Is there a way to enter a comment or note to oneself within Quicken?
Not a time linked alert, but just a note that remains permanently
available and easily retrievable? Perhaps within an account screen or
just the general Quicken opening screen.

Could I for instance replace some of the marketing ads Quicken inserts
in the Quicken screens?

Thanks.

Jeff
I have Quicken (2006) set so my main checking account opens up when I start
Quicken. I have a transaction scheduled to display that I have to go read
my gasmeter (NJ PSE&G) and this is flagged with a red flag for visibility.
It gets automatically entered for the 20th of each month, and displays the
number to call for reporting the reading in the memo field. If necessary I
adjust the date for the subsequent reading when I get the bill for the
latest one.

This works for me.
 
J

Jeff

GB said:
I don't know if 2006 has this, or if this is what you want, but in Q2005,
you can right-click on a transaction in a register and select "Notes and
Flags" from the context menu.

The calendar (Ctrl+K) also has an "Add Note" function.
Thanks for pointing that out to me. I was not aware of it. Very neat. I
can think of putting that to good use.

Actually what I want is something similar but not linked to a transaction or
date. For instance a note to myself about how to do certain things
(example: if I need to adjust this or that, this is how to do it correctly,
etc.). So it would appear permanently (not date linked) from the main
Quicken screen where I could quickly access it when I needed. Sort of like
Quicken has the calculator. Should be an easy thing for Quicken to do but
does not seem to be available. I'll just have to keep an external note file
which I will open when I need to remember something. I'll look to see if
Quicken can access an external text file from within Quicken.

Thanks for helping.

Jeff
 
J

Jeff

Han said:
I have Quicken (2006) set so my main checking account opens up when I
start
Quicken. I have a transaction scheduled to display that I have to go read
my gasmeter (NJ PSE&G) and this is flagged with a red flag for visibility.
It gets automatically entered for the 20th of each month, and displays the
number to call for reporting the reading in the memo field. If necessary
I
adjust the date for the subsequent reading when I get the bill for the
latest one.

This works for me.
Very interesting. How do you create it in such a way that it is set to
display and in red too?

Thanks.

Jeff
 
H

Han

Jeff said:
Thanks for pointing that out to me. I was not aware of it. Very
neat. I can think of putting that to good use.
With all respect, I do it differently since I do not use the calendar
(different strokes, etc - no judgment whatsoever).

As mentioned I flag transactions, especially upcoming ones. I just tried
and you can attach text files also.
Actually what I want is something similar but not linked to a
transaction or date. For instance a note to myself about how to do
certain things (example: if I need to adjust this or that, this is how
to do it correctly, etc.). So it would appear permanently (not date
linked) from the main Quicken screen where I could quickly access it
when I needed. Sort of like Quicken has the calculator. Should be an
easy thing for Quicken to do but does not seem to be available. I'll
just have to keep an external note file which I will open when I need
to remember something. I'll look to see if Quicken can access an
external text file from within Quicken.
Yes you can, but it seems you are going to make your own help files.
Maybe check whether there is an appropriate help topic. Then you can
attach a hyperlink.
 
H

Han

Jeff said:
Very interesting. How do you create it in such a way that it is set
to display and in red too?

Thanks.

Jeff
The flag color is selectable. The "transaction" reads:
"PSE&G E-Z Pay Meter Reading Today" as the payee ...
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Randy Stevens

Jeff,

Here's an option I tested with Q H&B 2006.

Create a customized "Quicken Home" page. To your home page, add "My Web
Links". You can add links giving them a verbal description and a URL. Only
the verbal description displays. For the URL, you can use an actual
internet URL or a file name for a local file.

You can create your permanent reminders or notes as TXT files using Notepad.
Create links to the files in "My Web Links". When you click one of the
links, the file will display within Quicken's Internet browser.

Randy
 
J

Jeff

Now that's very creative! Thank you.

Jeff

Randy Stevens said:
Jeff,

Here's an option I tested with Q H&B 2006.

Create a customized "Quicken Home" page. To your home page, add "My Web
Links". You can add links giving them a verbal description and a URL.
Only the verbal description displays. For the URL, you can use an actual
internet URL or a file name for a local file.

You can create your permanent reminders or notes as TXT files using
Notepad. Create links to the files in "My Web Links". When you click one
of the links, the file will display within Quicken's Internet browser.

Randy
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

DARLENE

i have been looking for Quicken 2005 or 2006
don't see where i can d/l it online
I have 2001
Can you help me.

Thanx
Darlene
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top