notice 54

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just received a notice 54/w large refund check -just under 4 digits-! Odd, I owed this year and made payment over six weeks ago and the check has been cashed and cleared. Reiterating, no refund was due. I am waiting for the follow-up as promised; but I am also smelling a new scam. Just can't figure it out. IRS has not been "reachable". No surprise there. Anyone recognize this?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
First if you have your taxes prepared by a professional, show them what you received so they can check if it is a legit correction or not.
If you do your own taxes, review to see if it was correct OR have it double checked by a tax pro.
If you determine it is an error, follow the directions in IRS tax topic #161 - Returning an erroneous refund.
Note that this MAY BE a possible scam where someone uses your info, files a false return, gets a large refund sent to you, THEN contacts you and insists they are the IRS and that you MUST immediately endorse the check and send it to them. That will be YOUR loss. So watch out.

Ask a Question