UK NPV calculation - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Could you help me out as I am so terrible at math.

Got a questions about starting new business in China and is asking to calculate NPV and provide views on financial viability and risks.

Second bit should be easy but i cannot figure out the calculation. Please help.
Investment - £1,000,000
Year 1 - £1,500,000
Year 2 - £1,750,000
Year 3 - £2,200,000
Year 4 - £2,650,000
Year 5 - £2,900,000

Anyone can help with the NPV calculation?

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Please note that if you are looking for assistance with an exam-style question, you must attempt the question yourself before asking for help. You can then state the answer you have so far and explain which aspect you need help with. Anyone posting exam-style questions expecting the answer to be given to them will have their posts removed. Repeat offenders will be banned from the forum.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have attempted it of course!

I used the only figure available for the calculation which is 40% desired return. That came to NPV of over £8million which is too much.

I tried calculating discount rate by using IRR but that came to 166% so when using that figure for present value it also came to over £8mil....

I have no other way of getting the discount rate. Hence my post.

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your original post is not clear. If you provided your work, it might be clearer.

To do NPV, you need cash inflows, cash outflows, the timing of those cash flows, and a discount rate. IRR is the discount rate needed to get NPV equal to zero.

Ask a Question