Objectivity

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello, I hope that people can give me feedback on this issue. Is the fact that I have to work together with X a threat for my objectivity? Thank you in advance.

Case:

Since almost fifteen years I am working in a local accountancy firm in the Netherlands. In September 2015 a colleague, X, did something rowdy that caused problems with me. Currently I am still being treated for these problems. I do not think that X caused the accident on purpose to make me upset. What X did was related to problems I had before and X will not have known my problems, because X worked in the firm only a few weeks by that time. X and I did not have problems with each other before the accident happened. Nevertheless what X did was rowdy and useless and I was very angry with him. Five, six weeks after the accident I told my boss during a regular meeting to evaluate my performances that I did not want to work together with X. By that time X and I also did not have to work together.

The problem I have is something that you can not see and it took some time before my actions towards treatment (mostly psychological) were taking more time. (So that people could notice that I was not at the office but at the psychologist.) In February 2016 it will have not been known by my colleagues that the accident was still a problem for me.

In February 2016 another colleague, Y, left the firm and a huge part of the clients that Y used to treat moved to X. That meant that X and I would have to work together. Y warned me that my superiors had a higher appreciation of X than of me. X is someone who is good at presenting himself to clients. *

After I had not taken up the phone when X called me for a few times, X sent me an email in which he apologized for what had happened in September 2015 and he invited me to talk. I went to him and told him that what had happened was a big problem for me and that he had to realize I was going to sue him (financially) because of the problems that he had caused with me. X told this to my superiors and in March 2016 they wanted to talk to me and said that this was not good for the relationship with X. They wanted that I would answer X’s phone calls in the future. I said I did not want that. Since then X and I communicate by e-mail.

This year I had to sign the annual form in which I state there are no circumstances that can affect my objectivity. Most questions relate to defined circumstances but one question asks if there are other circumstances. I have said that the fact that I have to work with X is something that might be a threat for my objectivity. I think that I can act with objectivity, but people might think that I do not act with objectivity. (One colleague has suggested that I might review X’s work more strictly than that of others. For myself I realise that I do my best to prevent mistakes more than usual when I work for X, because I do not want people to think I make mistakes on purpose when working for X.)

Am I right and is my relationship with X a threat for my objectivity?

* I am considered to be very good in technical matters, but weak in soft skills. This is also the reason that sometimes I review X’s work, and other times he reviews my work.

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you :( I think it would be worth speaking to a lawyer about this, as they would be able to advise you best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoltonPlumbing

Latest Threads