USA Oil Pipeline Construction Rev Rec

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are doing a case for my accounting class and I am spinning my wheels trying to find some good answers. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. I am not necessarily looking for you to give me the answer but just a nudge in the proper direction would be great.

So we are trying to determine how to recognition revenue from the following scenario:

1) Company A is contracted with Company B to build a pipeline. Company B will pay company A to build the pipeline. The construction will take 3 years. At the end Company A will retain ownership of the pipeline. After construction Company B will decide whether Company A or another company will supply oil through the pipeline.
My thoughts: Will Company A use percentage-of-completion method to account for the construction? How do they account for the ownership after that?

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You're looking for the accounting standards on revenue recognition, or construction contracts if there's a separate standard for it, and leases.

Last edited:

Ask a Question