USA Old Payments on Payables aging

Reaction score
Country
United States
A payment was made from the operating checking account to an employee listed as a vendor for a final paycheck in a closed previous year. The payment should have been made from the payroll checking account, but it was not. The payment has been on the AP aging and just shows the payment and not applied to any document.

How would I want to remove this payment from the current aging? Would I create a vendor invoice and apply it at the current date?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you want to create an invoice now and apply that credit balance in vendor list, the question is what expense would you record to create the invoice? That would be an additional expense in the current year, if you had recorded the expense while recording the payment.
But apparently, when you wrote a check the accounting treatment was to Accounts Payable and Bank Account. And in that case, create an invoice by charging your Payroll expenses depending on the paycheck. You can apply this credit (of a payment) to the invoice. The invoice and credit application both can be of the first date of the year as the previous year is already closed!

Let me know if this doesnt resolve your problem!

Ask a Question