USA Overcoming experience barriers

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

There is a movie that I would like to recall called "The Secret of my Success" with Michael J. Fox. This is a great and first example of what you can do to get into the field of any study. A young lad that has a good education with no experience, ventures into the real world seeing that every application he puts in is being being rejected due to experience. The line does come up in the movie, "How can one get experience without having experience?" The simple answer is in who you know and networking and self motivation.

I come here with a different problem. I am that young lad in the movie and while I am self motivated, I don't know that many people and my networking is very weak right now. I am 34 years old with some baggage. I am starting off from scratch. I am living back with my parents and I am in school for accounting. I have learned through a couple of lectures on Youtube, try to get in with a few local accounting firms and ask to shadow them for a few days. A barrier that an accountant had told me why I am not able to do that is because of confidentiality reasons. I am very eager and aggressive in trying to find experience in the field. If anyone knows how to overcome this barrier, please let me know.

Ask a Question