USA Paying for employee personal events

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I just started a new job as an accountant for a company and have come across something I have never seen before. Our CEO likes to pay for employee's personal events (races, fishing tournaments, marathons, etc) up to a certain amount. It's typically outdoor events that promote healthy lifestyles.

The previous accountant had just been writing checks to employees whenever this took place. However, the CEO is now wanting a separate budget for this employee giving. What's the best way to do this? Budgeting-wise, and setting aside a certain dollar amount.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I note your U.S flag, so not sure if it's different there, but here the UK, it's quite common for organisations to have some sort of budget for these things. The budget usually sits with HR, or a central team that can manage it - wherever it sits best really.

What it's made up of can be from suggestions from employees. So an approach might be to ask the question. From the replies, you'll have an idea of which activities are in demand, these can then be costed. What the total budget might be you can glean from previous cost and of course, your CEO's idea of what they think it should be.

Ask a Question