USA Prepaid tax?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a bit of gain in the stock market this year, but my broker would not do tax withholding for me.
I worry that I have gone over the limit and incur tax penalty next year (because I had not
paid enough tax withholding).

Does anybody know if there is an IRS tax form that I can just fill out and then mail them a check
in advance within this year or so, kind of like my own withholding? If I just mail them a check cold
(I dont have any other information) will they know what to do with it?

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks!

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure .On internet lookup " irs form 1040-rs for 2018". Download the form and follow the directions. You should do the same for your state taxes too.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not aware of tax withholding on personal stock transactions. I don't think there is any penalty either. Unless you are sure you will be penalized just pay the tax when you file in April - no need to give them more money.

I would also look into whether you have any securities in a loss that can be sold to mitigate the tax - these should be stocks you plan to sell anyway but time it this year so you can reduce your capital gains tax on appreciated sales.

Ask a Question