UK Prioritising change requests

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm working on a project where a number of changes have been requested. There is a limited budget, and previous change process was not effective and is being revised.

I am working on a framework which will prioritise the changes that should be progressed into the implementation phase. I am looking at cost and time impacts. I'm also asking the business to score the changes to reflect importance to the organisation.

Question is, at what point should I request the business to score the CRs in order of priority? Before or after I have the cost and time information? The business will argue to make that decision they'll need to know the costs and time of each change. I'm just conscious that cost and time impacts will influence how important that the business views the change.

My view is that the business should rank changes independently in order to identify the must haves from the should, coulds or won'ts, before cost and time data is introduced and then a further review can take place.

Thoughts welcome
FH

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm inclined to agree with you. The 'not going to happen' should be weeded out first. After all, there's no point in costing something just because it's been suggested.

It's a bit of a grey area after that in the battle between cost, time and short/long/overall benefit to the organisation of whatever the change is.

Ask a Question