Probate Timetable


H

Harold

A elderly relative has just died - she is a widower with two children.
There is a will which was drawn up by a solicitor leaving 50 percent
of the estate to each of the two children.

There is no house or stocks and shares - there is about one hundred
grand in a deposit account. This is the only asset.

The executors (the two children) are thinking of applying for probate
themselves.

Any idea of how long this will take from the will plus forms being
sent off to Probate Office?
 
Ad

Advertisements

E

Eric Jones

Harold said:
A elderly relative has just died - she is a widower with two children.
There is a will which was drawn up by a solicitor leaving 50 percent
of the estate to each of the two children.

There is no house or stocks and shares - there is about one hundred
grand in a deposit account. This is the only asset.

The executors (the two children) are thinking of applying for probate
themselves.

Any idea of how long this will take from the will plus forms being
sent off to Probate Office?
Should take no longer than 6 weeks - depends on how busy your local probate
court is.
 
G

GSV Three Minds in a Can

from the said:
A elderly relative has just died - she is a widower with two children.
There is a will which was drawn up by a solicitor leaving 50 percent
of the estate to each of the two children.

There is no house or stocks and shares - there is about one hundred
grand in a deposit account. This is the only asset.

The executors (the two children) are thinking of applying for probate
themselves.

Any idea of how long this will take from the will plus forms being
sent off to Probate Office?
Typically a couple of weeks until the interview, then another couple
after that to get the required probate forms back to distribute the
estate. This assumes all the paperwork is hunky dory, and they actually
know who/where all the relatives are.
 
D

Derek ^

Should take no longer than 6 weeks - depends on how busy your local probate
court is.
Phone them and ask.

They told us it would be three weeks from the appointment at the
probate office, and that was correct to the day, (It was about this
time of the year).

Obviously as Eric says the figure you get quoted will vary depending
on how busy they are.

But they are very approachable and sympathetic. IME About the only
official public service that is.

DG
 
J

John Boyle

GSV Three Minds in a Can said:
Typically a couple of weeks until the interview, then another couple
after that to get the required probate forms back to distribute the
estate. This assumes all the paperwork is hunky dory, and
"
they actually know who/where all the relatives are.
"

What has this got to do with granting of probate? Who is 'they'?
 
G

GSV Three Minds in a Can

from the wonderful said:
"

What has this got to do with granting of probate?
You need to fill in the probate request form. This requires numbers of
such things as offspring (easy, unless there are some illegitimate
ones), siblings, uncles/aunts, cousins, etc.

Even the deceased would sometimes struggle to fill the data in.
Who is 'they'?
The people filling the form in.
 
Ad

Advertisements

T

Tumbleweed

Derek ^ said:
Phone them and ask.

They told us it would be three weeks from the appointment at the
probate office, and that was correct to the day, (It was about this
time of the year).

Obviously as Eric says the figure you get quoted will vary depending
on how busy they are.

But they are very approachable and sympathetic. IME About the only
official public service that is.

DG
just going through this now, same circumstances except value is just above
the limit. Its taken 3 months of exchanging forms, and now the probate
office has said it will take 8 weeks to wait for the interview. IME they
werent sympathetic either, when asked how long to wait for the interview
(after the two week period the forms mentioned came and went with no notice)
the person at the other end said '8 weeks and it would be quicker if we
didnt have people phoning us to ask'. So if its 3 weeks after that it will
be 23 weeks! This for a completely sraightforward case, will in place, no
disputes.
 
D

DB.

Tumbleweed said:
just going through this now, same circumstances except value is just above
the limit. Its taken 3 months of exchanging forms, and now the probate
office has said it will take 8 weeks to wait for the interview. IME they
werent sympathetic either, when asked how long to wait for the interview
(after the two week period the forms mentioned came and went with no
notice) the person at the other end said '8 weeks and it would be quicker
if we didnt have people phoning us to ask'. So if its 3 weeks after that
it will be 23 weeks! This for a completely sraightforward case, will in
place, no disputes.

Your experience is unfortunate and, I think, unusual. It's been said
here many times (and was it was my experience, too) that the Probate
Registry is the most helpful and easiest-to-deal-with Govt. department.
 
S

Susan Hassett

just going through this now, same circumstances except value is just above
the limit. Its taken 3 months of exchanging forms, and now the probate
office has said it will take 8 weeks to wait for the interview. IME they
werent sympathetic either, when asked how long to wait for the interview
(after the two week period the forms mentioned came and went with no
notice) the person at the other end said '8 weeks and it would be quicker
if we didnt have people phoning us to ask'. So if its 3 weeks after that
it will be 23 weeks! This for a completely sraightforward case, will in
place, no disputes.
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Which venue did you request for your
interview? When I worked in the Personal Application Department of the
Principal Probate Registry, people sometimes asked why it took so long to
get an interview at one of our sub-offices. Quite simple - they're only
open one, maybe two, days a week, whereas the PPR does interviews five days
a week. So if you're in the London area and want a quicker appointment,
specify the PPR for your interview.

Similarly, when my mother had to get probate for my father, she was told
there was a long wait for an interview in Dorchester (a sub-office of
Winchester), so we went across to Winchester and were seen within two weeks.

Susan
 
T

Tim

... werent sympathetic either, when asked how long to wait for the
interview (after the two week period the forms mentioned came
and went with no notice) the person at the other end said '8 weeks
and it would be quicker if we didnt have people phoning us to ask'.
Did you say: "Well, you wouldn't have people phoning you
to ask, if you said 8 weeks on the forms instead of 2" ?
 
D

Derek ^

just going through this now, same circumstances except value is just above
the limit. Its taken 3 months of exchanging forms, and now the probate
office has said it will take 8 weeks to wait for the interview. IME they
werent sympathetic either, when asked how long to wait for the interview
(after the two week period the forms mentioned came and went with no notice)
the person at the other end said '8 weeks and it would be quicker if we
didnt have people phoning us to ask'.
Not an acceptable response, it is a consequence of them failing to
meet their own standards. People need to know, hence they have to ask.

Individuals behave like that when their organisation is failing to
cope. It sounds like they are short of staff.

Was it in a part of the country where this famous labour shortage
exists ?
So if its 3 weeks after that it will
be 23 weeks! This for a completely sraightforward case, will in place, no
disputes.
I would definitely make a complaint.
 
Ad

Advertisements

T

Tumbleweed

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Which venue did you request for
your interview? When I worked in the Personal Application Department of
the Principal Probate Registry, people sometimes asked why it took so long
to get an interview at one of our sub-offices. Quite simple - they're
only open one, maybe two, days a week, whereas the PPR does interviews
five days a week. So if you're in the London area and want a quicker
appointment, specify the PPR for your interview.

Similarly, when my mother had to get probate for my father, she was told
there was a long wait for an interview in Dorchester (a sub-office of
Winchester), so we went across to Winchester and were seen within two
weeks.

Susan
winchester ! Apparently there is a general 8 week delay there at the moment.
 
T

Tumbleweed

Tim said:
Did you say: "Well, you wouldn't have people phoning you
to ask, if you said 8 weeks on the forms instead of 2" ?
Wasnt me so I dont know. Apparently they are meant to be putting a notice in
saying about the delay, but perhaps they were too busy ? </irony off>
 
M

Mike the Unshavable

GSV Three Minds in a Can said:
You need to fill in the probate request form. This requires numbers of
such things as offspring (easy, unless there are some illegitimate
ones), siblings, uncles/aunts, cousins, etc.

Even the deceased would sometimes struggle to fill the data in.


The people filling the form in.
The local probate office to me (Leicester) were quite happy when we
explained that filling in this section of the form was almost impossible
(due to an overseas family connection with the deceased) and were contect
with 'not known' as the entry.
The probate office was unfailingly helpful, and professional in the short
dealing with them - our business with them was settled within 3 weeks of
the death.
More than I can say for the Department of Work & Pensions and the Inland
Revenue who are almost incoherent in their communications and seem to be
downright difficult in the information they are requiring.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

GSV Three Minds in a Can

from the said:
The local probate office to me (Leicester) were quite happy when we
explained that filling in this section of the form was almost impossible
(due to an overseas family connection with the deceased) and were contect
with 'not known' as the entry.
The probate office was unfailingly helpful, and professional in the short
dealing with them - our business with them was settled within 3 weeks of
the death.
I've no complaints with them, except the difficulty of getting some of
the data they ask for (it isn't obvious from the form that 'not known'
is an acceptable answer!).
More than I can say for the Department of Work & Pensions and the Inland
Revenue who are almost incoherent in their communications and seem to be
downright difficult in the information they are requiring.
Amen to that. Has taken 5 months so far to sort of my father's estate
(well under the limit) and tax/pension affairs. This includes several
requests to those departments to 'show your working', rather than just
telling the widow that 'your new pension will be X'.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads


Top