Problems importing Web Connect files

Reaction score
I'm trying to import several months of credit transactions into Quicken Deluxe 2011 by downloading and importing Web Connect files. The last time I did this, everything went smoothly. This time nothing is going smoothly. I have two separate problems... I think.

I'm going to refer to the following accounts, all of which are defined in Quicken, and all of which I have used to download and import in the past:

* Cards A1 and A2, two different credit cards issued by the same financial institution.

* Card B: a third credit card issued by a different financial institution.

* Checking C: a checking account at the same institution that issued Card B.

* Vendors D, E, F, and G: four different stores where I have credit accounts.

First problem: when I try to import a Web Connect file downloaded from Card A1 or A2, I get a dialog headed "Import Downloaded Transactions." It gives me two options, "Create a new account" and "Link to an existing account."

Obviously "Link to an existing account" is what I want. But it's accompanied by a dropdown list that only lets me choose between Vendors D and E. Cards A1 and A2 are not in the list. Neither are Vendors F and G or Card B.

How do I import the files into the right accounts?

Second problem: Card B's Web Connect file for 1/2012 worked fine, but the "Downloaded Transactions" pane displayed a red box which said, "Why Data was Disconnected." The files for later months displayed the same red box, but imported no transactions, and displayed no other messages.

The message in the red box is meaningless. You can insert, delete, or update data, or you can garble it; but you can't "disconnect" it. If a minor software publisher's product came up with something like this, I'd just assume that the message was written by someone with an incomplete command of English. But Intuit is not a minor software publisher, so something more weird must be happening.

I clicked the message link and got a huge dialog with a message at the top which said, "Important: This financial institution no longer supports online account access in Quicken. For more information, please see Termination tab below or click here." (Neither of those sources yielded more useful information.)

I visited the Card B issuer's web site and found that: (1) The issuer supports Web Connect and Direct Connect. (2) Direct Connect access costs $9.95/month after the first three months. (3) No price for using Web Connect is mentioned, which implies (but does not expressly state) that it is free.

Web Connect continues to work for Checking C, at the same institution, as well as it ever did. No empty downloads. No nonsensical messages about disconnected data.

What is going on here? Do I need to spend hours on the phone with two card issuers, or pay each of them $9.95/month to get a service which (according to at least one of them) should be free?

Ask a Question