USA Professors and CPA Products

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I was in undergrad and grad school, I found that ironically the accounting professors knew of some CPA review products, but could not give me the differentiation between the products. I was lucky to find a great one on my own (UWorld Roger CPA Review), but was wondering if everyone experienced the same? There seems to be a gap between professors and CPA review product knowledge.

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You need to recognize that like no two students learn the same way - no two CPA review schools teach the same way.
The approach in teaching is different.
When I was learning to become a CPA - over 30 years ago - I used the Becker CPA Review program - it worked for me, but there were plenty of other CPA Review courses available at that time that worked for other types of students. The founder of the program - Newton Becker - has been deceased for many years, but way before he died I believe he sold the program to DeVry University.
Now with computer technology - there has to be online programs, and prior to COVID19 there were still live programs at night after work hours. Up until about 10-15 years ago taking the CPA exam was a live test session given in May and November. Now it's done at a computer test center at certain window periods throughout the year.
Becker's approach was not only to prepare the technical information you needed to know, but to present it in the form it was tested on the CPA exam. But not only that - his program actually went through how to prepare for the exam, how to associate thoughts and processes, how the exam is graded, how to organize your thinking and learning.
So don't be discouraged because things aren't as exactly as you expect them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think in most cases accounting professors are usually on the older side, so they are not familiar with all the new CPA review courses. I'm using Roger CPA review right now and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The way they structure the material and lectures is phenomenal, makes it very easy to understand. Roger is a really funny dude too so the lectures are quite enjoyable!

Ask a Question