Proforma Definition

Reaction score
Hello all,

I work in an environment where the term "Proforma" is used very frequently. Why is this term being used versus something like "Balance Sheet", "Income Statment", etc.??

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
The term 'proforma' is often used to describe the standard format or layout of a document or form.

Reaction score
Thank you, Becky! Is it appropriate to name a financial document "Proforma" though? Ex. "Transportation Program Proforma" versus "Transportation Program Income Statement" or "Transportation Program Balance Sheet"

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
It is common parlance to refer to these blank documents as 'proforma' in the same way that you would say 'template', so as long as the document doesn't contain any actual figures I would say it was acceptable.

Reaction score
I've used the term pro forma when projecting cash flows and financial statements prepared in advance of some planned major project . It's a model that looks at the projected cash flows and helps to decide spending and expense controls. It's useful for short term decision making, like a few months out, but there's a lot of gray area when you start extending your projections out to a year or more.

Mike

Ask a Question