USA Public Accountants: Are You Happy?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a college senior going through the recruitment process. Today, I was invited for a second interview in a regional firm, which seemed to go well. However, I can't shake the horror stories of accountants in the online community saying that public accounting, especially in larger firms like the one I just interviewed for, is miserable and draining. The message that I am getting from young accountants online is that they are not in it for the long haul -- instead, they're just in it for the experience.

I got around to asking what values and traits that the firm values in new reports, but I stopped short of asking whether these folks are happy or content in their jobs. They didn't seem to be very enthusiastic about the firm or their role in it. Although I realize everyone has their good weeks and bad weeks, I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea of spending every waking hour either working, in commute, or eating (often in combination with each other.)

Bottom line: are you happy in your line of work? Are my feelings of dread unfounded?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
There are no TV shows featuring the lives of 1st and 2nd year auditors in CPA firms for me to point to. So instead compare to the TV shows of new medical interns : long hours, poor conditions, no life, office politics, stress, etc. Bottom line: it's not easy and it's not for everybody. Choose wisely.

Reaction score
Country
India
If someone is not happy that means that is not their filed of expertise. Those who Follow their passion will definitely be happy about their Jobs/Work Profile. For passionate people it is not their Job, it is their passion.

Follow your passion and be happy is the only way out in life.

Ask a Question