USA Question about getting fired

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all. I am new to accounting and I have a concern about it that is worrisome to me. I am wondering about a hypothetical situation where I am employed and I make an error due to not being aware of a particular policy, procedure, or law that my employer feels I should have known about and they end up firing me because of it. Is this a real risk in the Accounting profession? If so how can an accountant hope to stay up to date with every possible change related to their profession that would keep them from getting fired?

AGH the CPA

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
start by joining your professional CPA associations. In The US AICPA and then your local state board association are good places to start. My local board (VABOA) gives regular professional updates webinars with details about changing tax codes etc. Obviously you are not going to know everything about every accounting subject but most reasonable bosses know that and wont fire you if you're a tax accountant and missed a cost accounting update.

Ask a Question