Question on Foreign Tax Credit

Reaction score
Hi there, I hope someone can give me some advice about my situation.

I am a US citizen.

For the US tax year of 2009, I worked from January till May in the US for a US corporation. I have a W2 from there.

I moved to New Zealand on a working holiday visa and have been working here since June. I have a pay stub from the end of December showing my gross earnings and taxes taken out here in New Zealand for that year.

As far as I can tell, I don't qualify for the foreign income exclusion due to the fact I have not been out of the US for a 330 day period in 2009. However, I'm pretty sure I can claim the foreign tax credit.

My questions are:

1. Since I do not have really a permanent address here in New Zealand, am I able to write down my address in the US on form 1040 that I am using for all banking ,credit correspondence in the US?

2. Do I need to attach the pay stub from new zealand as proof of my income that I am claiming on form 1116 and as additional income on the line on form 1040 that for all wages, salaries, etc, as well as any information on how I figured the amounts for the year based on the exchange rate?

3. Is there any program that can do this electronically or do I have to do it all by hand and mail it in? I tried a few efile programs but they didn't have the capability to enter in any income amounts not reported on a US tax form ( from a foreign company).

The amount of income from new zealand is about $9500 US dollars, $15000 NZD and was taxed at a rate of approximately 20 percent here in new zealand.

Ask a Question