Quicken 2012


K

Ken Blake

I'm running Quicken 2011; should I get Quicken 2012, and if so, which
version?

Can anyone tell me, or point me to a web page that tells me, what's
new in Quicken 2012, and what the differences are between Deluxe and
Premier?

Thanks.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

John Pollard

"Ken Blake" wrote
Can anyone tell me, or point me to a web page that tells me, what's
new in Quicken 2012, and what the differences are between Deluxe and
Premier?
----------------------------------------------------------

You can go here:

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/index.jsp

and key "2012" (no quotes), then press enter or click Go, and you'll end up
here:

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/h...new-in-quicken-2012-for-windows/GEN83297.html

It's really designed to be used in conjunction with Q2012, though; so you
can see what they're talking about.

You can see some pictures and videos, here:

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/deluxe-money-management.jsp
 
K

Ken Blake

"Ken Blake" wrote
Can anyone tell me, or point me to a web page that tells me, what's
new in Quicken 2012, and what the differences are between Deluxe and
Premier?
----------------------------------------------------------

You can go here:

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/index.jsp

and key "2012" (no quotes), then press enter or click Go, and you'll end up
here:

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/h...new-in-quicken-2012-for-windows/GEN83297.html

It's really designed to be used in conjunction with Q2012, though; so you
can see what they're talking about.

You can see some pictures and videos, here:

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/deluxe-money-management.jsp

Thanks very much
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

John Pollard

"jslcr1" wrote

But if Q2011 is working OK there is not a whole of new items in Q2012
so I would hold off for a while.

--------------------------------------------------------

Here are some changes in Q2012 that users who upgrade from Q2011 will see.

1.) The ability to download currency exchange rates during One Step Update.
2.) Major change to the budgeting process
3.) Reworked Debt Reduction planner
4.) The ability to import QXF (not QFX) files for non-investment accounts
(so you can now transfer non-investment accounts between Quicken Windows
files, and between Quicken Mac files and Quicken Windows files).
5.) The ability to automatically add downloaded investment transactions to
transaction lists (registers).
6.) The indicators to the left of accounts in the Account Bar are now
different in appearance depending on what they represent (for example: the
indicator for downloaded transactions to process is different than the
indicator for scheduled transactions to process).

I suspect there are more, but I haven't had the time yet to find them.
 
S

Stubby

"jslcr1"  wrote

But if Q2011 is working OK there is not a whole of new items in Q2012
so I would hold off for a while.

--------------------------------------------------------

Here are some changes in Q2012 that users who upgrade from Q2011 will see..

1.) The ability to download currency exchange rates during One Step Update.
2.) Major change to the budgeting process
3.) Reworked Debt Reduction planner
4.) The ability to import QXF (not QFX) files for non-investment accounts
(so you can now transfer non-investment accounts between Quicken Windows
files, and between Quicken Mac files and Quicken Windows files).
5.) The ability to automatically add downloaded investment transactions to
transaction lists (registers).
6.) The indicators to the left of accounts in the Account Bar are now
different in appearance depending on what they represent (for example: the
indicator for downloaded transactions to process is different than the
indicator for scheduled transactions to process).
I believe I read on intuit.com that Q2012 will show a running share
total in a security register the way it shows a running total of
cash. That one feature is enough to make me purchase Q2012 before
tax time.

NB: I always buy a disk rather than down loading a new version. At
the end of each year, I dump my Quicken files to a disk and store it
with the program disk. Then, if I get audited by the State or IRS, I
can go back and look at that year.
Quicken cannot read data files from previous years (bad design!).
 
H

Han

I believe I read on intuit.com that Q2012 will show a running share
total in a security register the way it shows a running total of
cash. That one feature is enough to make me purchase Q2012 before
tax time.
That would be my decision too, after I read any comments here from folks
who relate their upgrade experiences ...
NB: I always buy a disk rather than down loading a new version. At
the end of each year, I dump my Quicken files to a disk and store it
with the program disk. Then, if I get audited by the State or IRS, I
can go back and look at that year.
Quicken cannot read data files from previous years (bad design!).
That depends on how old those files are. A new Quicken version usually
"translates" older files into the new format before opening. Unless the
old files are really old, then an intermediate version of Q is needed.
 
J

John Pollard

"Stubby" wrote
I believe I read on intuit.com that Q2012 will show a running share
total in a security register the way it shows a running total of
cash.
 
M

Margaret

John said:
I believe I read on intuit.com that Q2012 will show a running share
total in a security register the way it shows a running total of
cash.
My copy of Quicken Deluxe 2012 is on the UPS truck and out for delivery.
I should have it by 7:00pm this evening, as UPS delivers late here.

I prefer purchasing a download, but sometimes the download is more
expensive than the boxed version! So far at Amazon, there's no download
available for Q2012, so I bought the disc. Amazon has the download
available now for the same price. Ah well.

My backup system is quite redundant, so media is just something more to
take up space in my house. Fortunately Quicken media is small. :)

I'll post more once I get a chance to "play" with the latest Quicken.

Regards,

Margaret
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Bob Wang

And.... ;-)
"Margaret" wrote in message I'll post more once I get a chance to "play" with the latest Quicken.

Regards,

Margaret
 
C

charliec

And.... ;-)

"Margaret" wrote in message I'll post more once I get a chance to "play" with the latest Quicken.

Regards,

Margaret
I still do not see Quicken 12 advertised on Intuit's Quicken Homepage. If it has been
released, why are they still pushing Quicken 11 on the Quicken Homepage?

charliec
 
M

Margaret

I still do not see Quicken 12 advertised on Intuit's Quicken Homepage. If it has been
released, why are they still pushing Quicken 11 on the Quicken Homepage?

charliec
Usually they update the sales pages but forget about the support forms,
etc. I guess this time Intuit's further behind than usual. ;-)

Regards,

Margaret
 
M

Margaret

Bob said:
And.... ;-)
I like the budget enhancements. But ... it's painful to enter specific
amounts for multiple months. For a few budget items, I have a specific
monthly amount for some months and a different specific amount for the
remaining months. I enter the updated amount, copy it, tab to the next
field, but (unlike with the old budget), the field is not selected. So
I have to manually select the existing amount and *then* paste. This
gets really old when I have to do this six times. I'd liked being able
to <tab> <ctrl-v> my way through the fields. :)

It would also be nice if we could change the view from monthly to
quarterly like we could we the old budget. Similarly, I'd like to be
able to hide items on the "simple" budget screen without deleting them
from the "advanced budget."

The upgrade process was painless, but then I always use Quicken to copy
my data file and then validate it prior to upgrading. File size seems
to have stayed the same.

More as I continue to check out the new version. :)

Regards,

Margaret
 
M

Margaret

Margaret said:
I like the budget enhancements. But ... it's painful to enter specific
amounts for multiple months. For a few budget items, I have a specific
monthly amount for some months and a different specific amount for the
remaining months. I enter the updated amount, copy it, tab to the next
field, but (unlike with the old budget), the field is not selected. So I
have to manually select the existing amount and *then* paste. This gets
really old when I have to do this six times. I'd liked being able to
<tab> <ctrl-v> my way through the fields. :)

It would also be nice if we could change the view from monthly to
quarterly like we could we the old budget. Similarly, I'd like to be
able to hide items on the "simple" budget screen without deleting them
from the "advanced budget."

The upgrade process was painless, but then I always use Quicken to copy
my data file and then validate it prior to upgrading. File size seems to
have stayed the same.

More as I continue to check out the new version. :)
It's now impossible to enter negative dollar amounts in the budget,
whereas previously this was possible.

I don't often need to do this, but it'll be a pain until I do some
reconfiguring to get around this limitation.

Regards,

Margaret
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

Steve JORDI

Can the budget finally be set between two specific dates?
Like the 27th of a month up to the 26th of next month? Or is it
still running 1st to last day of month?

Thanks for any help

Sincerely,
Steve JORDI
M.Sc. in Geophysics

(Remove the I_REALLY_HATE_SPAMMERS from my email address)
 
M

Margaret

Steve said:
Can the budget finally be set between two specific dates?
Like the 27th of a month up to the 26th of next month? Or is it
still running 1st to last day of month?

Thanks for any help

Sincerely,
Steve JORDI
M.Sc. in Geophysics

(Remove the I_REALLY_HATE_SPAMMERS from my email address)
No, it's a running budget. In some ways this works better than the
Quicken budget prior to v2012, but it creates other difficulties, too.
Sigh, nothing's perfect! ;-)

Regards,

Margaret
 
S

Steve JORDI

Too bad.
I'll skip this version in that case.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Steve JORDI
M.Sc. in Geophysics

(Remove the I_REALLY_HATE_SPAMMERS from my email address)
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

R. C. White

Hi, Margaret.

I bought Quicken Deluxe 2012 at Office Depot on Wednesday (10/5/11) for
$59.99 plus sales tax. Yes, I know there will probably be better deals
later, but I'm impatient. ;^}

After installing it yesterday, I've had only a little experience with it so
far. I've seen only a few substantive changes so far; mostly just new
colors and occasional changes in layouts.

But there's a bug in the Registers for Investment Accounts that wasn't there
before - at least, I don't recall it. Widths of the columns makes no sense;
I can adjust them, but they don't stick after closing and re-opening
Quicken. The "Share Bal" column is about 3 inches wide; I could keep track
of quadrillions of shares here! While the column for Security (name) is
only about an inch, to that Proctor & Gamble is listed as Proctor & G...
After adjusting the columns in my ED Jones Register, I switched to a Banking
Account, then back to Jones - and my column widths stayed at my new
settings. But then I looked at my Merrill Lynch Register and it looked
weird! The column headings reflect my adjustments - but the lines for
transactions are still at the original widths. :>(

This is the kind of bug that will likely be fixed in an early update. By
the way, Help | About Quicken says that my brand new out-of-the-box CD
installed "Quicken 2012 Deluxe Release R 2(21.1.2.2.12)". Apparently, they
fixed a few things before even boxing the disks.

I didn't even have to choose "Custom" install this time; Setup recognized
the non-standard locations for my app (E:\QuickenW) and my "manual" backup
files.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(Retired. No longer licensed to practice public accounting.)
(e-mail address removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP (2002-2010)
(Using Quicken 2012 Deluxe R 2 and Windows Live Mail in Win7 x64)


"Margaret" wrote in message
Bob said:
And.... ;-)
I like the budget enhancements. But ... it's painful to enter specific
amounts for multiple months. For a few budget items, I have a specific
monthly amount for some months and a different specific amount for the
remaining months. I enter the updated amount, copy it, tab to the next
field, but (unlike with the old budget), the field is not selected. So
I have to manually select the existing amount and *then* paste. This
gets really old when I have to do this six times. I'd liked being able
to <tab> <ctrl-v> my way through the fields. :)

It would also be nice if we could change the view from monthly to
quarterly like we could we the old budget. Similarly, I'd like to be
able to hide items on the "simple" budget screen without deleting them
from the "advanced budget."

The upgrade process was painless, but then I always use Quicken to copy
my data file and then validate it prior to upgrading. File size seems
to have stayed the same.

More as I continue to check out the new version. :)

Regards,

Margaret
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads

Quicken 2012 6
Quicken 2012 10
Quicken 2012 10
Quicken 2012 Budget 5
Quicken 2012 merits 6
Downloads to Quicken 2012? 13
Quicken v2013 vs Quicken 2012 11
Quicken.com synch with Quicken 2012 1

Top