USA Quicken and Garage Sale Items

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just installed Quicken 2016 yesterday. Where has this software been all my life!? Anyhow, my question is on the sale of items around the home. I either sell at Garage Sales, buy/sell/trade groups on Facebook, or eBay. These are not items I purchased with the intention of selling/reselling (except for some baby toys, etc, knowing that they would eventually move on within a year or two). I purchased these items for my own family to use, and when I am done with them, I usually sell them and use the money for groceries or whatever, rather than donate them as they do have some value left. They aren't true assets, I don't think. They are things like dishes, jewelry that my ex husband bought me, baby clothes/toys; just things that were for personal use that are definitely being sold at a loss. How would I categorize these in Quicken, or just in general? Is the cash that I deposit in the bank still considered "Other Income"? I don't always have a receipt of the original value of the purchase, plus many of the purchases were in previous years and will not be shown in my Quicken software that only goes back a year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
been a while since I ran my house like a business... the IRS considers most money received as income, and it's taxable. I would have an account called Non-Taxable Income for such things, but wouldn't list the source. Things that are non-taxable are gifts, rebates...

Ask a Question