USA Quicken download duplicate transactions "Generated Buy from Position"

Reaction score
I am a long time Quicken user and am thoroughly sick of how Intuit treats its customers. Unfortunately since I've found no satisfactory alternative I am forced to put up with their tactics. Their forced update would be more reasonable if they ever actually improved their product (other than dumbing it down and prettying it up) They never fix the many bugs such as reports and their tactics on extracting personal information when registering quickbooks is reprehensible. OK, I'll stop ranting now.

I have a solution for downloading transactions into my investment register. When I download transactions from UBS Financual Services (my brokerage) into my account register Quicken downloads tons of old transactions with "Generated Buy from Position" in the memo field. Since those transactions are already entered in my register, I am forced to delete each one by clicking on "delete". In my case that is a very large number of clicks and time wasted. Since Quicken doesn't care to fix this bug, I've finally found a simple way to delete those transactions without wearing out my clicking finger.

I downloaded a program called "Fast Clicker" (find it at sourceforge or wherever you can google it) and I run it as follows:

I enter 50 in the "stop at" box

I select the "toggle" from "press/toggle"

I then click the "trigger" button and press a key on my keyboard (I like to use "M")

Next move your mouse cursor over the "delete" button in Quicken "Downloaded Transactions" box on the first transaction I want to delete and press "M" (or whatever key you selected as your trigger)

Quicken will rapidly simulate the left mouse click button 50 times deleting a bunch of the selected transactions. If you want to stop while it's running press "M" again. When it's done running and you want to delete more press "M" again.

I shut down "Fast Clicker" as soon as I'm done with it, as it can produce some unexpected/unwanted results, particularly if you press the "M" key while typing or doing another task.

Be careful, but I think you will like this trick if you have the frustration in deleting all those unwanted transactions.

I hope you find this useful!

Jim

Ask a Question