Quicken Premier H & B 2003 Accts. merge?


R

Ron Marraccini

Folks,

I need to merge one of my accounts (Checking for 2005) into another (Main
Acct.) for year end purposes and can't seem to remember how to do it.

Suggestions?

Thank you.
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

MikeB

Ron said:
Folks,

I need to merge one of my accounts (Checking for 2005) into another (Main
Acct.) for year end purposes and can't seem to remember how to do it.

Suggestions?
If in the same file (as your post says noting about different files),
then Select all, Cut/Paste in right account.
 
R

Ron Marraccini

Thanks for the quick reply -

I still do not find the "Select All" option anywhere.

In the "Quicken 2003 Premier Home & Business - Qdata1 - Checking" window I
looked under File, Edit, Tools, etc.

In my Checking Acct. window I looked under Delete.Find,Transfer,,Reconcile,
etc.

Am I looking in the wrong places?

Thanks again
 
M

MikeB

Ron said:
Thanks for the quick reply -

I still do not find the "Select All" option anywhere.

In the "Quicken 2003 Premier Home & Business - Qdata1 - Checking" window I
looked under File, Edit, Tools, etc.

In my Checking Acct. window I looked under Delete.Find,Transfer,,Reconcile,
etc.

Am I looking in the wrong places?
Yes.

Do as in any other Windows app. Clcik on the first entry. Scroll down
to the last entry, hold down Shift and click on it. Voila! you have
"Selected all" (within the range of your selection.

MikeB
 
R

Ron Marraccini

Well, I tried it (Just like I do in any Windows app to cut & paste) but they
won't select.
Right clicking won't work - holding down the shift key (or control key for
individual selections) doesn't work either & I do it all the time in Word,
Access, etc etc.

This is really unusual.

Is there a setting I am missing?

Suggestions?
 
J

John Pollard

Ron said:
Well, I tried it (Just like I do in any Windows app to cut &
paste)
but they won't select.
Right clicking won't work - holding down the shift key (or
control
key for individual selections) doesn't work either & I do it
all the
time in Word, Access, etc etc.

This is really unusual.

Is there a setting I am missing?

Suggestions?
The ability to select multiple transactions is not available
until Q2004 (or possibly Q2005).
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

John Pollard

Ron said:
Folks,

I need to merge one of my accounts (Checking for 2005) into
another
(Main Acct.) for year end purposes and can't seem to remember
how to
do it.
Suggestions?
To merge account A into account B:

Export account A to a qif file.
Import the qif file to account B.
Delete account A.

Of course, if you are using the term "account" to refer to a
Quicken "file" (fileset, actually); the instructions could be
somewhat different. For starters, read the "merge files" faq in
the Quicken Users Group in MSN User Groups.
 
R

Ron Marraccini

John -

After backing up everything - I opened Quicken & created/exported a file I
named 2005.qif from my acct. named "checking" to my desktop.
I then opened quicken again and went to my acct. named "main" and tried to
import the 2005.qif into "main" but - it keeps trying to re-import it back
into "checking" which is not what I want.

I have been able to do this (one way or another) every year since 1987
w/whichever version of Quicken I have been using until I got the 2003
version.

I also went to the MSN Quicken users group you recommended and read over the
"merge acct." faq but it seems to refer to importing a ".qfx"? file and goes
on to talk about MS Money and a very convoluted process for importing.

Sorry but I am stumped - any thing else I might try? (4/15 is coming)

Thanks again.
 
J

John Pollard

Ron said:
John -

After backing up everything - I opened Quicken &
created/exported a
file I named 2005.qif from my acct. named "checking" to my
desktop.
I then opened quicken again and went to my acct. named "main"
and
tried to import the 2005.qif into "main" but - it keeps trying
to
re-import it back into "checking" which is not what I want.

I have been able to do this (one way or another) every year
since
1987 w/whichever version of Quicken I have been using until I
got the
2003 version.

I also went to the MSN Quicken users group you recommended and
read
over the "merge acct." faq but it seems to refer to importing
a
".qfx"? file and goes on to talk about MS Money and a very
convoluted
process for importing.
Sorry but I am stumped - any thing else I might try? (4/15 is
coming)
Open the qif file in Notepad; find the name of the "checking"
account; change it to the name of the "main" account; initiate
another import.
 
R

Ron Marraccini

I find 6 instances - should I rename them all?

--
Ron A. Marraccini
Legal Investigations - OBI # 1998146
2000 NE 42nd Ave. #192
Portland, OR 97213
503-232-2470
 
J

John Pollard

Ron said:
I find 6 instances - should I rename them all?
There should only be one that affects what account you import to
(assuming you did not export things like Account List, Category
List, Memorized Payee List). Near the beginning of the file
should be 4 lines that look like this:

!Account
NMyAccountName
TBank
^

The one with "MyAccountName" (it should have the name of *your*
account) determines which account the data will be imported to
(when there is only one account's data present).

Possibly you have some transfer transactions, if so, then yes
you should change them as well. But if you are importing
transfer transactions from a different account in a different
file, you may not have all the correct accounts in the file you
are importing to.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

John Pollard

Ron said:
I also went to the MSN Quicken users group you recommended and
read
over the "merge acct." faq but it seems to refer to importing
a
".qfx"? file and goes on to talk about MS Money and a very
convoluted
process for importing.
I meant to comment on this before. There is no mention of
"qfx", nor any mention of Money in the faq I'm referring to. I
think you read the wrong faq.
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Ron Marraccini

John,

Looks like I got working now (so far)- Thanks for all your help!
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top