Receiving and Returning a Bonus the Same Year

Reaction score
Wondering if the experts here can point me in a general direction for all the sign-on Bonus issues.

I started working for a company in June who gave me a 15K sign on Bonus. Of course in pocket was about 10k odd. The stipulation was to work for them till June 2015.

Well, I have found position that I cannot give up on. A 20% increase in pay, a much better location, and a better yearly bonus. Added on, they are willing to give me 15K sign on bonus also with NO stipulations, except submitting a project which will take 6 months (so I guess I have to stay 6 months).

That said, I assume the expectation from the current company is that I will return the full 15K. Understandable. Is there some tax rule/law that can be applied since the Bonus paid to me, and me returning it back to them is both in the same year?

Comments Welcome!!!

Reaction score
If you are an employee, your employer needs to adjust for this on your W-2. If they do not, you need to get a corrected W-2 for the year.

If you are a contractor, the employer should adjust the 1099 to the correct amount. If it is not correct, just put the 15K returned bonus as an expense on Schedule C.

Ask a Question