USA recent grad looking for advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please give me some advice,

I recently completed my bachelor's in business management from University of
Phoenix. I earned two associates degrees from my local junior college and transferred to a CSU with the intention of getting a BA in economics. Working full time to support myself taking classes for a relatively scarce degree proved complicated, so i made what looks to be a mistake, by redoing my junior year and completing my senior year at the university of phoenix.

I am an intelligent person, and i have an apptitude for numbers as well as analytics. I've completed about 10 accounting and finance courses and another dozen economics and computer programming classes. I have been trying to break into the accounting field for about a year and have submitted countless resumes with individualized cover letters to no avail.

I am considering taking night classes toward an MBA or MS in accounting from my local CSU but i don't want to dump another $30k into my education if it's not necessary. So my question is this: is my degree from the university of phoenix looked upon so negatively that it isn't worth time for a manager to interview me? If i were to successfully get an interview i think i would get the job, i interview well and i come off as driven and intelligent. But i can't even seen to get that far. Are there any hiring managers here with some insight for me?

Please excuse any typos I'm using my phone to post this

Vincent

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got your pm. I think that while UoP isn't without its shortcomings, it shouldn't be something I remove from my resume all together. It was 2 years of hard work. Was it as hard as CSUS? No, but the classes overall were as difficult as my J.C. coursework was and the different majors make a good comparison difficult. Econ degrees are far more difficult than business degrees. And UoP is fully accredited. I am fully capable of taking my BS to any UC or CSU and get into any masters program. So it just seems that it should stay on my resume, I'm not trying to get a job that doesn't require a BA anyways.

I am probably going to have to ante up to a masters from a state school. Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
Hi
I got your pm. I think that while UoP isn't without its shortcomings, it shouldn't be something I remove from my resume all together. It was 2 years of hard work. Was it as hard as CSUS? No, but the classes overall were as difficult as my J.C. coursework was and the different majors make a good comparison difficult. Econ degrees are far more difficult than business degrees. And UoP is fully accredited. I am fully capable of taking my BS to any UC or CSU and get into any masters program. So it just seems that it should stay on my resume, I'm not trying to get a job that doesn't require a BA anyways.

I am probably going to have to ante up to a masters from a state school. Thanks for the input.
Hi,

I wouldn't recommend enrolling for an MBA right away or removing the UoP degree from your resume. A better alternative is getting accounting certification such as the CMA, CMA, etc. Employers need evidence that you are a capable employee and the best way to do it is way to do it is through certifications. Certified professionals have a higher chance of getting a job and earn more. Another advantage is the low payout compared to college education since certification exams and study is less expensive. Furthermore, passing some of the required examinations also improve the status of your resume. Having Certified Financial Accountant or Certified Management Accountant title is a professional achievement looked highly upon. So, in my opinion, that is the route you need to take to make your resume more credible.

Ask a Question