USA Recording Disposal of Property - Without Itemized List

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I have a sort of weird situation I am contending with right now. I just joined a nonprofit as an Accounting Manager a few weeks ago. A few months prior to me joining, this org's HQ moved from one building to another one across the street. Since the building we are renting now came with furniture and office equipment included in the rent, our existing furniture and equipment was either disposed of or auctioned off. We also had Leasehold Improvements capitalized on our old lease.

Unfortunately, the party responsible for getting rid of the old furniture and equipment did not think it was necessary to keep any records for some reason, so I do not have an itemized list for the fate of each piece of property (i.e., whether it was disposed of or auctioned off). Therefore, I am unable to delineate which assets the proceeds on the auction should go against. This is further complicated since we need to pay tax on the equipment and furniture gains.

Have any of you been in a similar situation, and how did you handle it?

Ask a Question